recent posts...

Friday, October 4, 2013

The Ruins and Sites of Rome, Italy

As I told you all before, I am breaking up my trip so I won't bore you all with so much at once. 

I shared the first day in Rome and how amazing it was but today I share with you something that took me over the edge.

The Ruins of Rome, Italy


We met with the group to start our tour. We drove down to the opposite side of where we were staying and as the bus took a turn this is what I saw.


I literally took this from the bus. My hand shaking with excitement. I almost dropped the camera.
You see, no one can explain to you how large and out of place this is.
It is truly amazing!

Ruins right in the middle of town. Between the new and the old buildings.


The history ,the age....who sat on these steps.... (Caesar)


The gruesome fights that took place here and the many lives lost



The Roman Forum was across and look at these Umbrella trees!!! Love them!
I took so many pictures. These are just a few.

We visited the Catacombs. No pictures allowed. Lots of Christians buried in tunneled walls, tombs stacked one upon another. They are still finding these all around Rome.

From there we left and went on a walking tour.

We came across the famous Trevi Fountain! Seen in several movies but I never have seen it up close till now! WOW!

It sits in the center of Rome.

It was another beauty. All that gorgeous marble sculpture. So much sculpture and Baroque architecture. 

Legend has it if you throw a coin with your right hand over your left shoulder your wish will come true!


To answer your question...

Of course I did!!!

and no, I cannot tell you what I wished for!


We ate the best Italian sandwich from an Italian deli. 
Prosciutto, Mozzarella and Pesto YUM!


 By now the salt in the food had me nice and puffy! 
All that ham and salami!!

We continued on our walk. I took this picture to show you just how small some of those cobble streets and alleys were.


Went around the bend and started to see this.

This is what I mean about how these ruins are just there among the newer/older buildings

It was something to see


The Pantheon


So wonderful. It was built as a temple for the gods during the time of Augustus. It was rebuilt in 126 AD 
Can you believe it is that Old?

Even after 2000 years it is still the world largest concrete dome that is not reinforced.


It is used now as a Catholic church and tomb for several including Raphael. 
Read all about it sometime. It is very interesting.


We ended our tour in the Piazza Navona in front of Bernini's fountain Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi 

We went back to our hotel and took a nap!
Then my husband and I went to eat dinner. 

Dinner is an event in Italy. We were there for 3hours! 4 courses
I ate antipasta bruschetta, spaghetti with Pesto and Filet Mignon w/ baby potatoes and green beans
Dessert was a Marzipan Cake (can't remember the name)
Oh and a nice wine



We strolled around Rome taking it all in.



It already feels like it was so long ago that I did this. So glad I can journal it here so I can never forget. 

One more day left in Rome!



If you would like to keep up with Dreaming in Color
enter your email address to get posts in your inbox!:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...linking to
Savvy Southern Style

10 comments:

Unknown said...

How amazing Deneen!!!
I'd love to see those ruins - this must have been the vacation of a life time :)
And that I can record special moments ( or things ) is what I love most about blogging !!!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Suzan

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

So amazing..the smile on your face says it all!!!

Denny1600 said...

What a special trip. Thanks for showing it to us. I love how you show that the ruins are right in the middle of the actice city. Amazing!
Denny

rush said...

i had an opportunity to go to greece...those unexpected ancient architectural elements are so fantastic. they are right in the city. amazing! some are down below street level, and some are above. athens itself was very dirty, crowded, stinky, hot (in july, i think), and at night there were armed police with machine guns. it is a very different culture. maybe because it is a big city, and we were in the heart of it. we really had a great time. i am glad you are enjoying your time in italy. i would love to go there some day.

Kirby Carespodi said...

Beautiful! It's like that in the south of France, as well...they'll start to excavate and find stuff and then plans have to change. I saw all kinds of the vestiges of Gaul---the Roman Empire in France and Belgium--in Arles and Nimes. Love that stuff!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Wow Deneen! I'm so happy for you that you got to experience this trip. And I'm a little envious. I look forward to seeing more and more.

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

It's difficult to fathom how these wondrous buildings were created so long ago...what a glorious trip!
You didn't wish for my George, did you? Fess up, Deneen!

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

when I was younger I told my parents that once I turned 18 I would move to Rome :) obviously that never happens and decided to move across the ocean. Still Roma is one of my favorite Italian cities. You can find pretty much any era as far as art and building. Truly amazing. See you Saturday!!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I love seeing your pictures (which are amazing!)and hearing about the places you visited. But mostly, I love that you were so excited to be there that you almost dropped your camera! That's pretty telling girl!

the cape on the corner said...

looks like a wonderful trip! it's on my bucket list, of course.