recent posts...

Monday, July 1, 2013

Lace, Trim, Pearls and Fabric Flag


Three cheers for the red, white and blue! July 4th, Independence Day! 

It is right around the corner!

Lots of Booms and Sparkles!

The day we celebrate freedom!

Freedom isn't free ..... as they say.

A lot have sacrificed for us and I hope people remember that.

That is why I always hang a flag somewhere to remind me how important that word is and how blessed I am living in the USA.

I love all the beautiful countries out there and I love some of their flags too. But I am an American, and I celebrate that fact.

So today as I was stumbling in my craft room picking up scraps of things. I decided to create this Lace, Trim, Pearls and Fabric Flag.

The last time I made a flag was my when I made my paint stick flag. I wanted to do something different. So I started with all my trim scraps!





I gathered antique lace, drapery trim, ribbon and pearls. I remembered I had an old vintage stool I needed to recover for my vanity. The material was perfect for the scrap I needed for my flag.


Nothing gets thrown away in this house!! Well the things I think I can repurpose anyway.....

So with a little cutting and gluing I began my door decor to show my support for our Freedom and to celebrate our Independence day!


It saddens me that our soldiers still have to fight here in the states for their benefits. People that fought so hard for us. Veterans going without healthcare. I mean, come on!

Our children need to be taught respect for our flag and country too. Learning the Pledge of Allegiance the way it is suppose to be said....One Nation Under God!!!

I hate to see people burning flags and dragging them in the dirt.

I am proud of our Veterans and soldiers.

I am proud of our nation.

I am proud to hang an American Flag on my door. Even if it is an artsy one! I have a real one I hang outside!



Why?

Because I was taught how precious freedom is.

So I will get off my soapbox......

and when I celebrate with BBQ, beer and fireworks, I will also celebrate what it means to be free!


and that no matter who is president and what is happening in this country.....

I know I am living in the USA!

and I am proud to be an American


UPDATE: When I originally came up with this idea I was going to make it as a flag to hang horizontally. I ran out of time and left the backing off, that is why the stars are on the wrong side. The only time this should be like this is when it hangs over a street. So thanks everyone that caught this and now my neighborhood street will look pretty. Lol

Linking to
Uncommon Designs 
The Ribbon Retreat 

15 comments:

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a great post and a great project! I love it Deneen!

Bliss said...

I love it, pinning.
Bliss

miss flibbertigibbet said...

So cute! Great way to use scraps!

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

Great post!!! That is one fab flag!!

Donna@AllthingsMing said...

By the way ... I took my sister to an annual community yard sale today and everything I saw I was like " That would look great with Annie Sloan"!!! Thankfully I was keeping to a budget or i would of had car loads of furniture!

Tina@WhatWeKeep said...

Cute project, Deneen!
I'm commenting from bloglovin so you see if it shows up.

srpprcrftr said...

What a great flag, that took great ingenuity to put together your scraps to look like a flag.
Great post about a very important matter, our veterans health care. My husband was a victim of the bureaucracy also, I had to fight for almost 3 yrs. to get him back in system.
The night he had his stroke they told me he's not in the system we can't take him. I raised my voice and said the "the hell you won't". He had his stroke much earlier in day but wouldn't go to hospital. Finally got him to go later, after over 2 hours in emergency his blood pressure was 214 over 185. Terrifying. He's in system now, I contacted a senator and he made sure there were no more problems with hubs being in system.

A5h3r4h said...

To be fair, the pledge was never "meant to be said" with that line...it was added *decades* later.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

@A5h3r4h You are correct. And that is why people need to be taught why! Eisenhower changed it because of communist threat. It was changed in the 50's. This is what I choose to say! I can because I live in a democracy. Thanks for stating the fact it was not first written that way! I appreciate that you read my post.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

@srpprcrftr Thanks@ I am glad that he in in the system now. Everyone that gave so much for this country should be taken care of!

Jean @ www.thebackyardbungalow.com said...

From the wife of a 20-year-veteran, thanks! The flag is cute, too!

Michele {The Scrap Shoppe} said...

I can't even tell you how much I love this, Deneen!! SO pretty!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Deneen, this is really cute. But I'm going to tell you the same thing I was told (correctly) when I made my last flag. When a flag is hung vertically the stars are to be in the upper left corner, just as they are when the flag is hung horizontally. I was so disappointed because I wanted to hang my flag both ways. Apparently that is not possible.

Little Miss Maggie said...

Great post, Deneen, and a very cute project too.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your flag Deneen - and your post - beautiful, both of them
XOXO