recent posts...

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How to Silk Tie Dye Easter Eggs

It is officially spring! And this is a great project to bring in the season!

This has to be one of my favorite projects. I always wanted to do something with neckties from Goodwill because they are so cheap but silk tie dyed Easter eggs never crossed my mind. The patterns are beautiful! This project really surprised me. Never thought I could achieve this look with a tie.
As promised I have broken the project down in steps for you to achieve the look.

You will need:
eggs

100% silk Ties (Thrift stores sell them for .99) (make sure they are 100%silk!)
find various patterns and colors for Easter

Rubber bands or twist ties

White vinegar

Water

Pot


Go shopping at thrift stores and find 100% silk ties in various colors and patterns. Make sure you read the tag and it confirms 100%silk. That how this works!


Cut apart stitching on tie so you have a flat piece of silk. Make sure you cut a square piece that will fit around the egg.


After you wrap your egg tightly use a rubber band or twisty tie to secure the fabric.
NOTE: After doing these I learned the fabric has to touch the egg to transfer dye. So if there is a crease white will show through. This can be a cool effect if you want!


Now cover those eggs with a white sheet over the silk and tie off again. I used the white lining of the ties....no waste here!

Boil water with a 1/4 cup of vinegar and place covered eggs in pot (don't stack) for 20 min.

Remove and cool.

Then take off fabric to reveal beautifully dyed eggs!

To see all of mine click HERE!


What do you think? Will you try these this Easter?





I was featured on Fun Family Crafts

10 comments:

miss flibbertigibbet said...

How cool,is THAT! You clever girl!

Paulette said...

What a fun way to get fabulous patterns on eggs. Thanks for the tutorial.

Anonymous said...

YAY! love it!..easy too.

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

what a cool "trick"!! came out really cute

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

What a fun idea!!!
I'm bookmarking this one!
TFS
Happy Spring!
Prim Blessings
Robin

srpprcrftr said...

That's a great project. Would be good to teach in a class of adults or kids. Glad you shared this idea with us all. Great job and tutorial. Happy Spring

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

so glad to share this with you all!

Unknown said...

I've heard of this technique but hadn't seen it done. Thanks for sharing! Yours turned out great and I pinned them!

Annesphamily said...

OH what a terrific idea! I love this and may have to try it myself!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Seems like I read about this many years ago but I've never done it. Can you eat the eggs?