recent posts...

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Fireplace Screen and Mantle




Time to add a little spring to another room! I started with the fireplace.


Over the weekend I wanted to change up the fireplace. It is a traditional fireplace but the tile on it is very dark. I would love to change it one day. In the meantime, I want to lighten it up for spring.

After the bridal show I brought in the two windows I used for the tablescape and placed them in the living room to store away. After looking at them for a few days I decided I wanted to incorporate them in my spring fireplace display.

I cleaned them and placed them in front of the opening to make a faux screen. I wanted to add something springy to the windows. I thought about painting them but then I remembered the paper I used for my Red Bird Hutch.

I applied squares to some of the windows


I loved the birds peeping through and looking at all the chippiness!

I added some spring green knobs to the center to look like little french doors.


It automatically brightened the space.


I grabbed one of these floor metal candle holders to make a nest and birdhouse.


I added my nest I bought when I was doing the HGTV pilot shoot and one of the Paper Bird Clips from my Etsy shop. I love that they can be clipped anywhere!


The best thing is that this can be up all spring without having to change too much.


Then I added my Egg Topiaries (click to see how to make) to the mantle with a little spring banner.


Whoops! That is a puppy on the chair!

Now I felt it needed some color so I went outside and cut some blooming branches.


I love the blooming red buds. I also added some to a vase for the coffee table.


As a last minute thought I covered the rest of the empty windows with some Graphics Fairy Morris-Eggs!





It was just what it needed to complete the look!!! I have terrible lighting in my living room but this Fireplace screen adds a pop to an otherwise dark boring front. I love the eggs. It took it to an artsy piece just by cutting them out and applying them to the windows.



BEFORE





AFTER


Happy Spring!!!

The Lettered Cottage
Funky Junk Interiors

2 comments:

Connie said...

I so enjoy visiting your blog. I consider my time here well spent, your posts are incredibly appealing and filled with wonderful ideas. I love your fireplace screen, it is gorgeous. Your devoted follower, Connie Please, come visit me, my welcome mat is always out.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh how pretty and creative! You are definitely ready for spring!